When does my worker’s comp end?

When does my workers' compensation claim come to an end and what happens then?

Workcover Queensland or a self-insurer is only obliged to provide workers’ compensation benefits to an injured worker until their work injury is stable and stationary.

What this means is, when your treating doctors consider there is no further treatment they can provide to you to improve your injury.

Then the workers’ compensation insurer’s obligation to meet workers’ compensation benefits for that injury ends.

Workcover or the self-insurer will then take steps to close your claim file.

We’ve provided more information below but you’re welcome to call, chat or email us. There is no cost or obligation.

Can I claim for my accident injury compensation?

Calculate how much compensation you may get for your work injury.

You’re welcome at any time to contact us for a personalised free claim assessment which is tailored to your circumstances. Or feel free to use our compensation calculator which will give you an indication how much compensation you may be due.

Pause for a moment. You could lose your right to claim significant compensation

When WorkCover or the workers’ compensation self-insurer is intending to finalise your workers’ compensation claim, you will be notified of this.

The steps you take at this time are very important, because if you take the wrong course of action, you could lose your right to claim significant damages for your work injuries.

Contact us ASAP to enquire whether you have a Common Law claim to pursue, and to ensure any such claim is protected.

Frequently asked questions about the end of your workers compensation claim

It does not matter if you have ongoing problems with your work injuries or cannot go back to work due to your work injuries.

As long as your injuries are stable and stationary and there is no further treatment that can improve them, then the workers’ compensation insurer’s obligation to pay workers’ compensation benefits in relation to those injuries, cease.

At the end of your workers’ compensation claim, WorkCover may issue you with a Notice of Assessment. This document will set out your work injuries and accord a percentage impairment for each injury. The impairment for the specific injury will have a correlating monetary amount, being the statutory compensation amount for the injury.
The statutory compensation accorded to each injury is taken from tables of injuries and calculations stipulated in the Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Regulation 2014 at Schedule 9. The amounts for each injury will be added up and totalled in the Notice of Assessment, and you will be given what we call a Statutory Lump Sum Offer for that total amount. The Notice will also stipulate the total permanent impairment for your injuries (what is known as a Degree of Permanent Impairment or “DPI”).
No. If your total DPI is equal to or more than 20%, then you can take the Statutory Lump Sum Offer contained in your Notice of Assessment (with respect to the injuries assessed as 20% or more), and you can still bring a Common Law claim for damages for your work injuries. However, if your total DPI is less than 20%, then you cannot take the Statutory Lump Sum Offer and pursue a Common Law claim – you have to make a choice as to what you wish to do, that is, take the Lump Sum Offer, or sue for damages. If you take the Lump Sum Offer, then you lose any right to seek damages for your injuries. You will only retain this right if you reject or defer the Lump Sum Offer.

Real 5 star client Google reviews

See hundreds of genuine 5 star ★★★★★ real reviews from those we have helped with work, motor and other injuries

No fake reviews here, we just work hard for great clients who leave honest feedback.


No win no fee guaranteed, plus it pays for your injury expenses

You’ve nothing to lose with our no win no fee guarantee, if we don’t win, you don’t pay our professional fees

Our guarantee quickly pays for all outlays and associated claim expenses and you get access to the help you need

The decision to take the offer, once made, is irrevocable and cannot be reversed.

You should also be aware that if you have both physical and psychiatric injuries listed in your Notice of Assessment, the DPI for these injuries are not added together when calculating the DPI, they are assessed separately.

For example, if you receive a total 10% DPI for your physical injuries, and a 10% DPI for your psychiatric injury, this does not mean you have a 20% DPI and you can take the offer and still sue, you cannot, you can either take the offer or sue, but you cannot do both.

No, it is very important that you do not make any response to the Notice of Assessment or any Lump Sum Offer from the workers’ compensation insurer without first speaking to one of our personal injury experts.

An incorrect response to the Notice of Assessment or Lump Sum Offer can result in loss of all rights to claim significant compensation.

If at the end of your workers’ compensation claim, you are not able to return to your work with the employer, you should contact Centrelink as soon as possible to register for Newstart or Disability Benefits.

Alternatively, you may hold disability insurances attached to your superannuation scheme or through other private insurance arrangements.

You should make enquiries with these entities as to whether you have a claim for income protection payments whilst you are unable to work due to your injuries.

If you are suffering severe financial hardship, you may be able to draw on your superannuation and you should make enquiries with your superannuation fund to see how you may be able to apply for release of funds in the case of hardship.

If you have a mortgage, credit card repayments or car repayments etc, you may have disability insurances attached to your mortgage or loan agreements which can assist you whilst you are unable to work due to your injury. You should look into these with your lenders.

It should be pointed out that many workers think that WorkCover or the self-insurer is required to get you back to work after an injury, this is incorrect.

Although return to work programs are usually part of rehabilitation provided in a workers’ compensation claim, where an injured worker is no longer suited to the work they were doing prior to their injury and cannot return to it, WorkCover is not obligated to find the worker alternate employment.

The workers’ compensation insurer is only required to maintain wage payments and funding for medical and rehabilitation treatment until such time as the worker’s injuries are stable and stationary. After that time, WorkCover’s obligations end, whether the worker is back at work or not.

How much compensation did other people get awarded for their injuries?

To help you understand more how much other people were awarded for their compensation claims, (who may have similar injuries to you) we pulled together some helpful, real life personal injury payout examples..

These include compensation for injury at work as well as car accident injuries, workplace injury and slips, trips and falls. You may have suffered an injury that means that you can’t return to work. We assess the type of injury that you have suffered and will look at current medical reports, the costs of your future medical treatment, along with important factors such as whether you are left with a total and permanent disability.

TPD claim lawyers Brisbane,
Gold Coast & Australia wide

As long established personal injury lawyers, we can help with Queensland motor vehicle accident claims, WorkCover compensation claims and many more claim services. We also offer Australia wide support to help you with your TPD super claim. Try our fast, free TPD compensation payout checker below.