What is permanent impairment?

Learn more about permanent impairment payout amounts, QLD wide.

When a person suffers an injury, it can result in long term problems. This is termed “permanent impairment”.  If you’re been injured or are sick through no fault of your own, you might be entitled to claim a permanent disability payout

Permanent Impairment is used in personal injury claims to describe the permanent impact an injury has on a person’s functioning. Courts and insurers assess the compensation to be received by this method.

Can I get accident injury compensation?

Calculate how much compensation you may get for your car accident, work injury or other accident.

You’re welcome at any time to contact us for a personalised free claim assessment that is tailored to your circumstances. Or feel free to use our permanent impairment calculator which will give you an indication of how much compensation you may be due.

Is pain also an uplifting factor when impairment is being assessed?

Yes. An assessor can also uplift the permanent impairment assessment for the injury because of chronic pain and its interference with functioning, this will ultimately affect the permanent disability payout you may be awarded.

What is permanent impairment assessment?

Permanent impairment assessment of an injury is usually undertaken pursuant to the American Medical Assessment Guides 5th Edition (AMA Guides).

Are you injured and unable to work? In work injury cases, the Guide to Evaluation of Permanent Impairment (GEPI) is used.

The GEPI is actually based on the American Medical Association (AMA) Guides, with some minor deviations.

Why try our Permanent Impairment Calculator?

Compensation claims can be complex. As personal injury experts, we make them as simple as we can for you and get you the compensation you’ll need for the rest of your life.

The first step in knowing if you have a permanent disability payout case after you’ve become totally and permanently disabled is by using our free Disability Compensation Calculator. It’s free, it’s simple to use and it’s one way of putting your mind at ease before speaking to one of our legal experts.

The Permanent Impairment Calculator is all online and steps you through much of the detail that you would need to gather to make a successful claim.  

Alternatively, a more accurate figure can be had by having a free quick discussion with our Lawyers.

If my injury is serious, can it impact my earnings?

A permanent disability payout for permanent impairment obviously increases the more serious the injury. The more the impairment injury impacts on a person’s capacity to undertake their activities of daily living, then the greater economic losses are incurred.  

In fact, in most injury cases, assessment of impairment will include an impairment rating for the actual injury, plus a possible uplift for interference with activities of daily living of up to 3%.

If you have an income protection policy to cover injury or illness, we will help you assess it and guide you in how to make a claim for a permanent impairment rating payout.

Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) Permanent Impairment

Are you or were you injured as a member of the Armed Forces? 

This information covers the Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) Permanent Impairment or if you are seeking information on Defence-related Claims Act (DRCA) compensation rates. However, it’s important to note that this is general information only.  

If you have an impairment injury or disease and think that you have entitlements under an Australian military compensation or veterans’ entitlements scheme, then our personal injury lawyers can help. We assist people with their DA permanent impairment claims, no matter how complicated.  

It could be that you or your dependants have multiple entitlements for the same impairment injury, disease or death under more than one scheme. This is in addition to entitlements under one or more Government ex gratia schemes, a Commonwealth-funded superannuation policy and/or a personal insurance policy.

  • A current or former member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) (Permanent or Reserves)

  • A current or former Cadet, or an Officer or Instructor of Cadets

  • A current or former member of the Australian Federal Police with approved overseas service

  • An Australian participant involved in British nuclear tests in Australia

  • A dependant of any of the above persons

DRCA compensation rates are available on the DVA website. However, we recommend that you use this as a point of truth as we proceed through the process. Our expert lawyers can make contact with the department. We will liaise with the DVA staff throughout the process on your behalf as and when required.

To begin with, you need to complete the appropriate claim form. You can get these from your nearest DVA office or the DVA website. If you need help filling these forms out – we can help you there too, though many service and ex-service organisations have officers and advocates who can help you with your claim.

It’s the responsibility of the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Commission (MRCC) delegate to investigate your claim. Whilst you don’t have to prove anything about your claim, any supporting evidence, medical, rehabilitation programs undertaken or otherwise will speed the process up.

When the claim is lodged, a delegate of the MRCC will investigate your claim before making a decision. This process is aimed at ensuring that all of the information pertinent to your claim is available when the delegate makes a decision.

Delegates assess claims on a case-by-case basis. However, they usually take into account your service history, service medical records and other information on your medical history.

The delegate may also ask you for information in your possession or readily available to you. The information needed will be requested in writing and you’ll be advised of how long you have to provide the information. Normally this will be 28 days so that finalisation of your claim is not unduly delayed. You can ask for an extension of time if there’s likely to be a delay in getting that information.

Additionally, the delegate may ask you to undergo a medical examination. The MRCC will pay for any medical examinations it asks for, as well as reasonable travel and accommodations costs associated with it.

The DVA has published the following professional advice in relation to lodging a claim on its website:

“If you are a serving member and you incur an injury or contract a disease which you think could be related to your ADF service on or after 1 July 2004, it is important that you lodge a claim with the DVA as soon as possible. Do not wait until you are discharging from the ADF. Concealing an injury or disease can often make the condition worse or endanger others by putting them at risk when injuries compromise your ability to do your job.


Lodging a claim shortly after the incident will also mean your claim will be processed sooner. Following a decision on your claim, any payments you may be entitled to will also start sooner. The claim process will also be simpler because incident and medical records are easier to locate for recent events. Details such as dates, injuries and symptoms are still fresh in your mind and the minds of witnesses and medical staff.”

Frequently asked questions

Looking for more? View all our Frequently Asked Questions.

Remember, we offer an obligation-free chat with our Lawyers online, by phone or email for no cost. We aren’t one of those law firms that will make you go through with it if you’re not ready.

Better to answer that question and know than have it go unanswered. Contact us today.

TPD claim lawyers Brisbane,
Gold Coast & Australia wide

As long established personal injury lawyers, we can help with Queensland motor vehicle accident claims, WorkCover compensation claims and many more claim services. We also offer Australia wide support to help you with your TPD super claim. Try our fast, free TPD compensation payout checker below.