When your worker’s comp ends but you can’t return to work

My workers’ comp claim has finished but I can’t return to my job – what do I do?

If at the end of your workers’ compensation claim, you are not able to return to your work with the employer, you should contact Centrelink as soon as possible to register for Newstart or Disability or Sickness Benefits.

Alternatively, you may hold disability insurances attached to your Superannuation scheme or through other private insurance arrangements.

You should make enquiries with these entities as to whether you have a claim for income payments whilst you are unable to work due to your injuries.

What If I have no money and am suffering severe financial hardship?

If you are suffering severe financial hardship, you may be able to draw on your Superannuation and you should make enquiries with your Superannuation Fund to see how you can apply for release of funds in the case of hardship.

If you have a mortgage, credit card repayments or car repayments etc, you may have disability insurances attached to your mortgage or loan agreements which can assist you whilst you are unable to work due to your injury. You should look into this with your lenders.

It should be pointed out that many workers think that Workcover or the self-insurer is required to get you back to work after an injury.

Workcover is not obligated to find you alternate employment

Although return to work programs are usually part of rehabilitation provided in a workers’ compensation claim, where an injured worker is no longer suited to the work they were doing prior to their injury and cannot return to it, Workcover is not obligated to find the worker alternate employment.

As indicated above, the workers’ compensation insurer is only required to maintain wage payments and funding for medical and rehabilitation treatment until such time as the worker’s injuries are stable and stationary.

After that time, their obligation ends whether the worker is back at work or not.

What happens at the end of your workers’ compensation claim?

The workers’ compensation insurer may issue you with a Notice of Assessment setting out an impairment assessment for your work injury.

If your injury is assessed at more than a 0% impairment, you will also be offered a lump sum payment for your work injury.

If your degree of permanent impairment stated in the Notice of Assessment is 20% or more, you can take the lump sum offer (for the injuries assessed at 20% or more only) and still make a common law claim.

However, if the assessment of permanent impairment is less than 20%, you cannot both accept the offer and make a common law claim, you must make an election.

 Claims Have Time Limits

✔  There is only a small window in which you can make compensation claims in Queensland

✔  Even if you think your actions may have contributed to your injury, you may still have a claim well-worth pursuing

✔  Just click below, there is no cost, and no obligation to review your case

Real 5 star client Google reviews

✔  Read 5 star ★★★★★ real reviews from those we have helped

✔  No fake reviews here, we just work hard for great clients who leave honest feedback.

No win no fee guaranteed

✔  You’ve nothing to lose with our no win no fee guarantee, if we don’t win, you don’t pay our professional fees

✔  Our guarantee quickly pays for all outlays and associated claim expenses.

How much compensation will I get?

✔  Our Compensation Calculator gives a basic indication how much compensation payout you may be due

✔  Simple steps to get a fast overview of all the areas that you may claim for

TPD claim lawyers Brisbane,
Gold Coast & Australia wide

As long established personal injury lawyers, we can help with Queensland motor vehicle accident claims, WorkCover compensation claims and many more claim services. We also offer Australia wide support to help you with your TPD super claim. Try our fast, free TPD compensation payout checker below.